There comes a time when we are bored of our pre-installed car audio systems. Well, enter subwoofers and amps.
There’s not a quicker way to make your drives more enjoyable than installing subs in your car and there are several ways to do it.
Subwoofers are designed for delivering that perfect audio and bass performance in compact, closed spaces like that of vehicles. However, there are things you may want to consider before you go on and buy one for your car, such as the peak power, driver size, cabinet and finish, etc.
Don’t worry though. We’ve listed six best options below with box and amp to make your shopping easier.
Table of Contents
- Our Top Picks
- 1. MTX TNP212D2 12″ Dual Loaded 1200W Subwoofer Enclosure Audio with Sub Box, Mono Block Amplifier
- 2. Rockford Fosgate R1S4-12 12″ 300W Complete Subwoofer Bass Package
- 3. Rockville W12K6D2 V2 12″ 4800W Subwoofers
- 4. KICKER 44DCWC122 12″ 1200W Complete Subwoofer Bass Package
- 5. Pioneer TS-WX1210A 12″ Sealed enclosure active subwoofer with built-in amplifier
- 6. Skar Audio Dual 12″ Complete 2400W SDR Series Subwoofer Bass Package
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall Subs with Box and Amp: MTX TNP212D2 12″ Dual Loaded 1200W Subwoofer Enclosure Audio
Definitely our top pick. The ultimate subs if you’re looking for virtually everything from affordability to loudness to bass performance. Comes with 8-gauge wiring. Just install and you’re ready to rock the journey. Literally.
- Best Sub with Box and In-Built Amp: Pioneer TS-WX1210A 12″ Sealed enclosure active subwoofer with built-in amplifier
If you don’t want an additional amp mounted with your sub but you don’t want to compromise on bass, Pioneer is the choice for you. Comes with a Class D built-in amplifier to deliver just what you need.
- Sub with Box and Amp having Best Bass: KICKER 44DCWC122 12″ 1200W Complete Subwoofer Bass Package
These yellow branded subs don’t just look good, they play equally good too. The bass is quite overpowering combined with the 1100W amp for the bass hungry users.
- Best Budget Subs with Box and Amp: Rockford Fosgate R1S4-12 12″ 300W Complete Subwoofer Bass Package
The price section of these subs might seem a little suspicious but they are Rockford after all and don’t disappoint when it comes to their performance, having some of the best reviews.
First in our list is this subwoofer package with a complete amplifier kit and a mono amplifier. With 2 subwoofers coming with an enclosure and 1500W mono amp, this one is sure to impress the bass enthusiasts with its thumping deep bass and amazing sound quality. The maximum power that can be handled would be 1500W and 563/1125 RMS. You have virtually everything you need to install a great car audio system yourself right at your fingertips.
- Power protection LEDs
- Low levels inputs/outputs
- Variable low cross Passover
- Comes with complete amp wiring kit, ring terminal, ground cables, etc.
- Average wiring kit
- No speaker grills/bars included
If you’re not in favor of spending a lot of money on subwoofers, this system is the ultimate boon for you. You get decent sound quality and the bass never lets down.
With a maximum power handling of 300W and 150W RMS, this 4-ohm subwoofer sounds amazing after being installed in your car. The complete kit comes with a 1100W mono amp including a remote bass control, MDF construction enclosure box with QPower for a custom port design, and a 4 gauge wiring kit. The bass is remote controlled to literally turn your vehicle into a sound machine.
- Sound quality is just great considering the size
- Extra convenient installation with the wiring kit
- Sturdy construction
- Great value for money
- Doesn’t come with screws for the subwoofers
Rockford is a popular name in the subwoofer community for the quality sound and bass it offers in the affordable mid-range section. Convenient, inexpensive and great-sounding, this product had to make an appearance in our list.
These Rockville subwoofers come with a car sub enclosure box and a Class D 2-ohm mono amplifier along with copper wiring installation kit. The peak power handling is 4000W and 1000W RMS which is CEA rated. The thick foam surrounding the non-pressed cones ensure good sound quality with little distortion. The chrome-plated terminals are designed to connect with any gauge wire with a heat-dissipation enabled design.
- Red stitching cone for a longer life
- Black-sanded finish cast aluminum basket
- Suited for handling higher temperatures
- Equalizer, phase, mute and dashwood controls for convenience
- The box might not hold up sometimes
These subwoofers are designed to compete with some of the best rated subwoofers such as the Rockford. You get distortion free playback at multiple levels with good sound quality and multiple features.
These loaded 2-ohm subwoofers boast a maximum power handling of 1200W and 600W RMS. The 1100W mono car amplifier comes with a remote bass control for powerful sound performance. There is custom port design in the box enclosure which has MDF construction for extended durability. The complete package also has a 4 gauge wiring kit to make the installation process hassle free.
- Distortion free loud sound with the amp
- Installs in minutes
- Powerful bass
- Value for money
- Amp could sound weak if not wired with the bass knob, not otherwise
If some deep bass performance is what you’re looking for the Kicker 44DCWC122 is the one for you. The sound is quite clear and overwhelming.
This 12-inch single subwoofer with a max power handling of 1300W and 350W RMS comes with a powerful Class D built-in amplifier to get rid of any addition mono car audio amplifier, which is great. The bass boost remote knob is included and the cellulose fiber cone with a sound frequency response of 20-125dB and sensitivity 114dB ensures crisp clear sound even in closed spaces like that of vehicles. The sub looks amazing with a carpet matt finish.
- Good sound quality optimized for closed space playback
- LPF, Phase, variable boost adjustable controls
- Input gain control using knob
- Innovative scratch-resistant design
- Doesn’t come with wiring kit for installation
In the price section this Pioneer is being offered, the performance is truly unbeatable. The bass gives other subs a run for their money and there are multiple user-friendly control options. A decent sub.
This loaded SDR series has a peak power of 2400W and 1200W RMS. The subwoofers come enclosed in a vented box featuring split chamber designing and kerf middle port for maximum bass output along with a Class D 1200W mono block amplifier to mount the sound. The sound quality is reliable and clear with good performance on low end frequencies owing to the high flux ferrite motor for a low spectrum sound. The 4 gauge OFC amp wiring kit is easy to install for anyone.
- Thick black carpet and MDF construction
- Installs in minutes
- Flex and distortion elimination
- Impressive eye-catching design
- The price could’ve been less in its section
Your ears might hurt listening to these subs. They are powerful and distortion free, the sound quality compares to reliable brands. The design is quite impressive with yellow branding. We couldn’t find any significant drawback on this one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it OK to put AMP on sub box?
It is generally not recommended because all the shaking and vibrations could cause the dislocation of the inner components of the amp. It’s better to find a different spot somewhere around the back seats to mount the amp.
What is the best amp for 2 12 subs?
The RIOT 1100 Watts, Mosfet is generally considered one of the best amps from 2 12-inch subs. Designed to specifically feed your subs, it’s equipped with bass boost control and is easy to install. Moreover, it’s from the BOSS team which makes some of the best-selling audio products.
How big of a box do I need for a 12 sub?
For a 12-inch sub box you need the dimensions 23.62” x 13.78” x 16.86”. These are the ideal measurements. You will also have to keep in mind that there is sufficient room along the clearances of the sub.
How many amps does a subwoofer use?
If we use ohm’s law and take 120V as the standard electricity board rated single phase voltage for domestic switchboards, the amp rating of a typical 1000W power subwoofer would be 11 Amps RMS or peak 15 Amps.
What hits harder 2ohm or 4ohm?
Low resistance subwoofers produce louder sounds than high resistance subwoofers. So, 2-ohm subwoofers are louder than 4-ohm subwoofers. However, the 2-ohm subwoofer most likely will have poorer sound quality owing to the power consumption.
Does a bigger box make subs louder?
A bigger enclosure box will make a sub sound higher than the tuning frequency but the other notes will not be much louder. Also, enclosing a sub in a larger box puts pressure on it that might exceed its mechanical capability and therefore, there can be damage. It’s not recommended.
It is important that you select a subwoofer and amp package that suits your taste of sound and bass. Electronics such as subs have a tendency to go faulty, always look for warranty. Pay attention to the physical size of the subs and the quality of the amp wiring, they’re crucial in extracting the best performance. Make sure you’re investing the right amount of money as per your needs.